BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch



Munsch, R. (1991). Love you forever. Ontario, Canada: Firefly Books Ltd.

Summary:


Love You Forever chronicles a bond between mother and son while both age. First, we see the young mother hold her baby in her arms and sing him a song. The book then moves through the passage of time, where we witness the young baby, turn into a young boy, a young adult and finally a man. During this entire time span the mother is still rocking her son and singing the lullaby to him, until the last couple of pages when the mother is too old to finish. The son then goes to her to rock her and sing her their song. The story ends with the son now rocking and singing to his daughter.

Advisory Information

-Themes:

a. Family Relationships: Through the words and pictures, the reader can see the process of growing up and what the mother has to go through. Furthermore, it also looks at the process of taking care of an aging parent.

b. Love: Ultimately, this book is about love: the love for a parent and child, and vice versa.

c. Life and Death: This book is a good introduction to the aging process both for a young baby to an adult and an adult to old age.

d. Nostalgia: Regardless of the mother’s or son’s age, the song always references her son as a baby, and the son’s song always references his mother as his mommy.

e. Parenting: I think that this book really presents what the author considers to be good parenting: regardless of what happens the mother always goes into the son's room and rocks him to sleep all the while singing the song.

-Age Recommendation:

For me, this book is acceptable to all ages; it still makes me cry. However, it is a picture book, so it was probably intended for young children such as infants to about first grade.

-Other Information

This book edition was illustrated by Sheila McGraw.

Reaction:

When I started this assignment I did not think I would recognize very many authors. I knew about Lucy Maud Montgomery, but I never knew that this book was written by a Canadian author. It is a book that will always remind me of my childhood; I used to love noticing what the cat did on each page when my mom read it to me. I think that as a picture book it really transcends time. It does not matter when it was first written (1986), the book can connect just as well with today’s audience.

0 comments: